In English, this Option is known as the Tetrapodal Robo-Panther (originally misspelled "Terapodal", corrected in the 2014 Strider), translated from the original Leopard-Type Quadruped Robot (ヒョウ型四足歩行ロボット). In Japanese its also known as the Saber Tiger-Type Robot (サーベルタイガー型のロボット).
ModelsEditSmilodon. The Robo-panther can only be summoned if Hiryu has two Option A already active and finds a third one. Option B first appears in a spherical contracted form known as "Marumushi Mode" (the Japanese name for the woodlouse), and becomes active once Hiryu picks it up. It stands at Hiryu's side and follows him around, lunging at any approaching enemy and destroying it with its claws. This Option only last for a limited time, after which it reverts back to the two Saucers. It takes the two red units used by the Saucers during its active time, turning them from red to yellow. If Hiryu is hit and lose one of the red health units, then Option B is destroyed and Hiryu is left with a single Option A. While it's said to be controlled by the same control unit as the Option A, both machines can't be used simultaneously.
As it moves entirely on land, it has a tendency to separate from Hiryu and wander around, often jumping all over the place trying to reach Hiryu's location. Due to this, it's often seen as being much less useful and a downgrade when compared to having two Option As.
Option B possess the following equipment:
- Plasma Power Reactor (プラズマ発電炉) - Serves as the Option's main core.
- Engine Cooling Duct (エンジン冷却用ダクト) - Exits on the circular exhaust vents located on the robot's mid-section, it prevents overheating.
- Reinforced Metal Arm (超金属製アーム) - The powerful metal-reinforced front legs used to shred targets. An Electronic Joint Control (電子制御関節) inside each leg controls their movement.
- Tracking Sensor (追尾センサー) - Option B's eye sensors.
The Option is the third and last Option to be found, located in an Pickup Cradle in the Research Facility's Test Lab, under protection of Xi Wang Mu. The Queen Mother herself has a technique in which she morphs into a violet energy panther and imitates this Option's attack pattern.
In Marvel vs. CapcomEditFormation A technique, where he commands one robot tiger to rush across the stage, hitting any enemy in its way.
Several Options B and C are also summoned en-masse during Hiryu's Legion Hyper Combo, covering the entire screen as they rush from one end of the screen to another, hitting the enemy several times in the process.
Option B is also seen in some of Hiryu's animations, in particular being used as a transport: one of Hiryu's intros in the first two games has him standing on an Option B as it rushes into view, and his outro animation in Ultimate and Infinite has him teleport into a moving Option B and stand on it as they leave the area. This possibly inspired the Panther Run technique in the 2014 Strider.
All Option B moves are also featured as part of Hiryu's movelist in Project X Zone 2.
- Young Zeku's V-Skill II "Kuchiyose - Bii" in Street Fighter V: Champion Edition has him summon a weasel and perform an attack similarly to the Formation A1 technique. The name "Bii" is the Japanese pronuntiation of the letter "B" (ビー) in English, in reference to Option B.
- ↑ Sega (September 1990, Mega Drive). Strider (English). Instruction manual, Pg. 12
- ↑ Sega (September 1990, Mega Drive). Strider Hiryû (Japanese). Instruction manual, Pg. 16
- ↑ Capcom (February 2000, PlayStation). Strider Hiryû 1&2 (Japanese). Instruction Manual, Pg. 12
- ↑ Capcom (February 22, 2014). Strider Hiryu Visual Chronicle (Japanese). Pg. 09
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Staff (1993). "Capcom Illustration Gallery". Club Capcom (0). Pg. 11-12